Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

4 stars

 
Can I say I love you Neil Gaiman for asking a 1922 version of your book to be released?

You can imagine the book-gasm I had when I found this beautiful classically designed book with cloth cover, and gold pressed into the cover. Gorgeous.

This book is in fact the inspiration for the movie, which I loved, and so heck why not pick it up for a read? Young Tristan Thorne, half fairy and half mortal, steps over the forbidden Wall in order to complete his destiny of finding a fallen star in order to win his love's heart. Tristan meets new friends, and his pure heart and good intentions help him out of hard fixes on his journey.

While I loved the classic magic this book invoked, I felt a little torn. Tristan's journey was very epic, but at the same time I felt it lacked some major action. Despite this, I liked how Tristan became a man when he got to know himself  better, once he realized what kind of man he wanted to be and who he was. 
 
If you've seen the movie first, the differences are noted, but at the same time I couldn't help but think they did a damn good job on the movie as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment