Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater

5 stars
This book! How can I convince everyone to read it? It feels like it's been awhile for me to truly say that I loved this book.

Supernatural? Excellent. Forbidden romance that is not overly dramatic? Yes! Mystery, death, psychics, and a hunt for something more? Lots of it. Needless to say I was hooked badly and was super excited. The 408 pages felt like nothing.


Stiefvater is an excellent writer and descriptor. Her characters were unique, and interesting and her story was fantastic. Blue is an eccentric character that is unique and loving. Her odd-ness comes naturally considering she comes from a psychic mother and lives in a house overloaded with them. The Raven Boys, Ronan, Gansey, Adam, and Noah are adorably complicated each in their own way, but apart they just aren't the same as they are together. It's hard to imagine each boy separately, since they are so complete together. Her words help me see each character as I should, for example:

  Ronan and and Declan Lynch were undeniably brothers, with the same dark brown hair and sharp nose, but Declan was solid where Ronan was brittle. Declan's wide jaw and smile said, Vote for me while Ronan's buzzed head and thin mouth warned that this species was poisonous.

OR

Noah, unlike his pristine room, always seemed a little grubby. There was something out of place about his clothing, his mostly combed-back fair hair. His unkempt uniform always made Adam feel a little less like he stuck out.

Wow.

 With that I felt like I was there, seeing the two brothers, studying them and understanding the danger of each one. But not only was she good at describing the characters, but her story was secretive and unique. I was truly thrown in for a lot of loops even though some part of me saw them coming. Everything in this book was dangerous, thrilling, and beautiful. To help intrigue you more, the book revolves around an ancient tale of Kings and Welsh heroes disappearing in thin air and a promise that if woken any request would be granted. Sounds like a genie, but darker with ghosts, and mystery.

I am so excited for the sequel! Dream Thieves review is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment